There are many kinds of addiction treatment programs, including those that allow patients to continue their daily responsibilities. Outpatient programs are designed for people who want to live at home and attend treatment sessions during the day or evening. They provide structure, mental health support, and community that are vital to recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.
At Evoke Waltham, our outpatient program in Waltham, MA, offers a variety of affordable, flexible options designed to meet diverse patient needs. To find a suitable program for you or a loved one, call us today at 866.276.1920.
Who Should Consider Outpatient Addiction Treatment?
For some patients, outpatient treatment will be the next step after completing a stay at an inpatient or residential facility. For others, outpatient rehab is the first step on their sobriety journey. Since outpatient rehab allows patients a great deal of freedom, it’s important for patients to be able to take on responsibility and accountability.
If you meet most or all of the following criteria, outpatient treatment may be a good option.
- You have a safe, stable living space, and if you live with others, they support your recovery.
- You have responsibilities at work or school or with your family that you need to maintain while receiving treatment.
- You need a high level of physical and mental health support, but you don’t need 24/7 medical care or monitoring.
- You want treatment for a mental health condition, like depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- You’ve completed inpatient or residential treatment and want to transition into a less restrictive form of treatment.
- You need a safe space to navigate the challenges of sobriety, regardless of your recovery stage.
Additionally, outpatient treatment is most successful for patients who are personally invested in their recovery journeys and committed to doing the work the program requires.
What to Expect in Outpatient Addiction Treatment
In an outpatient rehab program, you’ll attend sessions at a treatment center for several days a week. The exact time commitment differs depending on the program you pursue, but many centers allow you to work at a part-time job or attend school part-time during treatment.
A day treatment program is the most intensive form of outpatient care, with sessions as frequent as five days a week. These programs are a good fit for patients who are just transitioning into independent or sober living or who will benefit from a high level of structure.
An intensive outpatient program (IOP) requires less of a time commitment but still provides high-quality physical and mental health care. These programs are best for patients who can live independently but still need ongoing sobriety support.
Counseling and therapy, both individually and in group sessions, are core elements of outpatient programs. In counseling sessions, you’ll do the difficult and rewarding work of developing healthy coping mechanisms and life skills. You’ll also support, and be supported by, other patients in therapy groups who can relate to what you’re going through and provide insight.
What Happens in Therapy Sessions
For instance, in individual and group therapy sessions, patients might:
- Practice the time-honored 12-step method of recovery from drug and alcohol abuse
- Learn how to change their behavior by changing their thinking patterns
- Explore their reasons and motivations for remaining sober
- Learn and practice interpersonal communication skills and conflict resolution skills to improve their relationships
- Process trauma and symptoms of PTSD with a trauma-informed counselor
- Participate in family counseling if they choose to have their family involved in their treatment
- Enjoy holistic therapy activities, like music therapy
- Focus on skills that help them prevent relapse
Once patients leave an outpatient program, they continue receiving support through aftercare or alumni programming. These programs may include recovery meetings or recreational activities that help people stay connected to a sober community.
Discover Evoke Waltham’s Outpatient Addiction Treatment in Waltham, MA
At Evoke Waltham, our experienced, compassionate staff takes a whole-patient approach, focused on improving mental health, building strong coping skills, and strengthening support networks. At our luxury centers in a beautiful Massachusetts neighborhood, patients in our day treatment or intensive outpatient program receive personalized attention and various treatment options.
Our programs include evidence-based therapies and medical treatment along with more specialized offerings, like gender-specific sessions, nutrition education, and acceptance and commitment therapy.
We’re here to give you all the tools you need to succeed in recovery. If you feel like you need more support than you’ve been receiving, if you’re looking for a recovery program that can be structured around your existing commitments, or if you want to explore options for yourself or someone you love, contact us at 866.276.1920 to learn more.