Evoke Waltham offers addiction therapy and group therapy programs in Waltham, Massachusetts, for people struggling with addiction looking for a community of peers to understand them as they work on recovery. Our staff and facilities provide a supportive environment where our patients can share their experiences and learn from each other. Call 866.276.1920 to learn more about our addiction therapy program and the group therapy sessions that are often part of them.
What Is Group Therapy?
Group therapy is a form of psychotherapy involving one or more therapists working with several patients simultaneously in sessions. It is a type of counseling that focuses on interpersonal relationships.
A group therapy program can be essential to an addiction treatment plan. Studies found that patients who participated in group therapy were more likely to stay in addiction treatment and less likely to relapse than those who did not participate in group therapy.
Group therapy can provide support, understanding, and hope. It can also help people learn new skills and coping strategies. However, group therapy in rehab is often combined with individual therapy.
What Are the Benefits of a Group Therapy Program?
Besides substance use disorders (SUDs), group therapy is an effective treatment for many mental health conditions. Some of the benefits of group therapy include:
- Greater sense of empowerment – Participating in group therapy can help you to feel more empowered. This is because you will have the opportunity to share your story and be heard by others. You will also see that you are not alone in your struggles and that other people understand what you are going through.
- Improved communication skills – Another benefit of group therapy is that it can help you to improve your communication skills. This is because you will be sharing your thoughts and feelings with others in the group, and you will also be listening to what others have to say. This can help you to communicate better with people in your life outside of therapy.
- Improved self-esteem – Group therapy can also help you to improve your self-esteem. This is because you will be able to see that you are not the only one struggling with similar issues and that you can make positive changes in your life.
- Increased insight – Talking about your experiences with others in group therapy can help you to gain insight into your thoughts and behaviors. This is because you will be able to see things from different perspectives and learn new ways of coping with difficult situations.
- Reduced isolation – One of the main benefits of group therapy is that it can help reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness. When you feel alone in your struggles, talking to other people who understand what you are going through can be helpful.
While support group meetings and group therapy sessions are different, participating in a peer support group can also reduce isolation behaviors in people struggling with various mental health conditions. However, people struggling with mental health conditions like addiction must note that many support groups don’t have the benefit of a licensed and certified therapist leading the discussion and other activities meant to improve the overall well-being of their participants.
If you're ready to start your journey to recovery, we're here to help.
Consider Group Therapy at Evoke Waltham
If you are struggling with a mental health issue, consider seeking treatment with Evoke Waltham. We offer a group therapy program in Waltham, Massachusetts, as well as individual and family therapy. Our team of experienced mental health professionals can work with you to create a treatment plan that is right for you. Contact us today at 866.276.1920 to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment.