Why Do Teens Use Cannabis?
One of the most abused drugs by teens, is smoking cannabis. Why is it that so many teens use this drug? Could it be pure pressure?
Marijuana, or cannabis, is made from the dried leave and flowers of the cannabis plant. When marijuana is smoked, the THC in the plant, along with other chemicals, pass through your lungs before they enter into the bloodstream. Once it has entered the bloodstream, it is carried throughout your body before it finally reaches the brain.
The effects of marijuana will begin to take effect within minutes of smoking it, and you will experience feelings of pleasure and relaxation. Marijuana can also be consumed; its effects are much more suspended and will start anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour after ingesting.
Why Are They Using it?
According to a chart published by NIH, in 2020 alone, over 1% of 8th graders, 4.4 % of 10th graders, and 6.9% of 12 graders are using marijuana daily. The numbers are staggeringly higher for use n the past month and the past year.
Marijuana, or cannabis, is a very commonly abused drug among teens. Unfortunately, we now live in a society that promotes the legalization of marijuana, and state by state, it is slowly happening. Unfortunately, this mentality can trick an adolescent mind into thinking that it is not at all dangerous.
What makes a teen want to try and use marijuana, to begin with? There are many different reasons why a teen might choose to use marijuana. Below are the five most common reasons.
- They want to know what it is like – Most teens who try marijuana for the first time are simply curious about what it feels like to be high. Being curious is a normal part of the teen experience; however, when that curiosity is about drugs, it can become a slippery slope. Many people this age also believe that they are invincible and nothing bad will happen to them. Unfortunately, no one is invincible against drug abuse.
- Everyone else is doing it, so why can’t I? – Anyone at a teenage will do whatever it takes to feel accepted by their classmates and peers. This need to belong can lead them to make very poor decisions. If a friend asked them to smoke marijuana, odds are they would do it, so they don’t feel excluded. Their friends play a very big role in what teens choose to do.
- I just smoke when I am bored – Marijuana can turn into a very dangerous way to pass the time. Using marijuana because they are “bored” is a terrible way to go about it and can lead to them being unmotivated and no longer excelling at school or outside activities.
- It just makes them feel better – We all know how it had can be in the teenage. Many teens are trying to find a way to escape from their problems. As a result, they turn to the pot to deal with difficult emotions or even cope with mental illness. They use it to numb the pain, as do adults. The problem is that self-medicating like this can have serious long-term consequences.
- They want to feel good – Many teens will use marijuana just to have fun, but there are serious side effects that they may not know about. Marijuana use can be addictive and harmful to teens.
Understanding the Risks of Marijuana Use
If you are a parent to a teen and you simply want to protect them from the dangers that come along with using this drug, it is important to educate them about the risks to make an informed decision about what they might do. Some of the risks involved with marijuana use include:
- Difficulty with learning and retaining information
- Car accident
- Legal trouble
- Risky behavior, including sexual behavior
- Development of bronchitis
If you think your teen is abusing marijuana, there is help available for them. We can help you help your child live a sober life so that they can grow into a successful and happy adult.
Start Marijuana Addiction Treatment at Evoke Waltham
Struggling with a marijuana depencent, in this day in time is a life or death situation. Your life is important. You are important, and you aren’t alone. There are many people out there like you that are also struggling.
A sober life begins now. Evoke Waltham has a network of drug and alcohol treatment centers designed to offer a long-lasting solution for healing addiction. We assist men, women, and families throughout the United States struggling with substance abuse and searching for addiction treatment.
Are you ready to give up the struggle and start fighting for your life back? We are ready to help you! Call us anytime. Our team of specialists is always available to help.